Sri Lankan Oil Cakes (Konda Kavum)
(Makes 25 to 30 Kavum)
|4 cups||Rice flour|
|1 cup||Brown sugar|
|½ cup (100 g)||Vegetable oil margarine|
|1 1/3 to 1 ½ cups (300 ml)||Coconut milk|
|2 or 3||Cardamom|
|½ cup||Kithul pani/ palm jaggery treacle|
|Oil, for deep-frying|
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl to make the batter. Set aside for 30 mins so that the ingredients can mix well.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Scoop two tablespoon of the batter into the pan.
- Plunge a long stick skewer in the middle of the batter holding it in place.
- Turn the batter with the spoon as it gets cooked while rotating the skewer rapidly, like a spinning top but keeping it in one place.
- The batter soon puffs out and a tiny mound forms at the center. Continue the rotation until the kavum is fully cooked.
- Remove the kavum and place in a tray lined with grease absorbing paper. Repeat the process until the batter is finished.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Recipe Credits: LINK