Sri Lankan Patties
A crispy pastry with a beautiful meat/or fish filling.
SRI LANKAN PATTIES INGREDIENTS:
The Pastry (Makes 15 patties)
|225 g||mince beef|
|100 g||boiled potato|
|15 curry leaves|
|1 tsp||coriander powder|
|1 tsp||chilli powder|
|1/2||juice of lime|
|50 ml||thick coconut milk|
|oil for deep frying|
For the pastry:
- Sift the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter.
- Separate the egg and add the yolk to the flour along with the salt and lemon juice. Mix in sufficient water to make a stiff dough, knead well and put on one side for 30 minutes.
- Chop the onion, and chilli, crush the cardamon and clove, dice the tomato and cube the potato and mix it into the beef.
- Heat the oil, add the onion and curry leaves and fry until the onion turns light brown.
- Add minced beef, chilli, cardamon, clove, salt, pepper, coriander powder, chilli powder, cumin, vinegar, and stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato, potato and cook for a further 3 minutes. Pour in the coconut milk, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add lime juice. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured board and, using a pastry cutter, cut circles in the dough. Beat the egg white. Place a little beef mixture in the center of each pastry circle, apply the beaten egg white to the edges and fold patty in two. Seal the edges and deep fry until golden brown. Drain well.
Recipe Credits: MY MUM